zaterdag 28 november 2009

skateboarding anno 2009

I’m gonna be honest the skateboard industry in 2009 has confused me more than ever. Let’s start by writing an introduction: I started skating over 20 years ago and I’m still not better than most of the young kids that the local skatepark. Sure I can land a switch backside flip and a nosebluntslide or two. But all of that “flip in, flip out, manny stuff” just blows my mind everytime I see it. 


It’s amazing how much skateboarding has progressed in the last 10 years. Trickwise the level is at an all time high. The tech tricks that are being done these days are tricks that I dreamed about, but never thought were possible. When I see some guys do flip-manny-flip-out it almost seems that they can manipulate physics and time. It’s pure art. I’m glad to see that there’s more individualism these days as well. We have the punk skaters, the hip hop guys, the good clean christians, the drunks, the facial tattoo lovers and the dudes that just do their own thing. The Rick Howards, the Chris Haslams, The Tom Penny’s, the Daewon Songs, the Geoff rowley’s...of the renewed skate scene. That group of skaters, are guys I really enjoy watching skate. They reflect the purity of it all and where it’s at. They don’t care about sponsorship they care about the good times, the vibe, the friendship.


Unfortunately there’s a flipside to everything and it’s pretty to spot that some companies and people are trying to turn skateboarding into a jock sport. I mean, who would have thought that pro skaters would get tv shows on MTV? Who would have thought that some megacompanies would try and join in the fun. Well Nike tried it years ago, when they came out with a shoe especially “designed” for skateboarding. 


I have to be honest, I can’t remember that they came out but I have to admit that they looked pretty ok and skate pretty good as well. The Nike SB series these days are pretty ok as well,  the new janoski’s for example are really really cool as well. But I still think it’s pretty sad that the mega companies are trying to join in. It sucks away the passion and it sucks away the integrity of a great sport. On the other hand it’s also amazing that some skateboards don’t need to worry about their future anymore. They’re set for life and I can imagine that a set future by skateboarding for nike SB is better than skating for small companies and working at the distribution warehouse for the rest of your life after you retire. Ah well it’s weird that some skatecompanies are trying to get out of the game by designing clothes that are not designd for skateboarding. 


So when we focus on everything, it’s obvious that the financial aspect works both ways.  I guess that makes everybody happy... or not.


take care


Kevin


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten